The Gloucester County Resource Council is a network of human service organizations in Gloucester who meet monthly to share ideas, information and resources. Cooperative, inter-agency efforts are planned and initiated in an attempt to maximize community resources and minimize duplication of services. It is hoped that by sharing information and building awareness of current community services and resources more planned extension of services and resources will occur as well as cooperative creation of new opportunities and resources. Participation is open to agencies, organizations, and businesses, with community service functions within Gloucester County, and any citizen of Gloucester County.
Serving residents of Gloucester County, the Gloucester Resource Council is a network of community resources to identify needs, promote agency services, encourage collaboration and advocate for the need of the community.
The Gloucester Resource Council will serve as the coordination body for organizations with community service missions while promoting solutions to local concerns and challenges by using current and future resources.
“How Can We Help You?” Brochure
Do you or someone you know have basic, unmet needs? If so, check out our new “How Can We Help You?” Brochure here!
We currently have a number of subcommittees made up of Resource Council members looking to address issues in the community, including:
Food Insecurity: To research and investigate options for providing summer food resources to families participating in the back/snack pack program during the school year.
Poverty/Mental Health: To research, investigate and discuss the issues of poverty and mental health and better understand how it impacts individuals and communities, as well as plan activities to bring more awareness and understanding.
Community Volunteer Month: To conduct a volunteer/community service awareness and recruitment campaign in April 2017, to coincide with National Volunteer Month, for the purpose of increasing the number of community members volunteering with non-profits in Gloucester and promoting awareness of the importance of volunteers to our community.
Public Relations: To promote the Gloucester Resource Council and its activities, as well as participating organization’s mission and activities, and engage the time, treasure, and talent of the community through multiple communication venues such as traditional and social media. The PR Committee oversees the Spotlight on Hope (Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal) articles, GRC Facebook page and Facebook Feature Friday initiative, and manages this website.
– Catalyst for the creation of local 501(c)3 nonprofits such as the Samaritan Group, Inc. and GUEST
– Celebrate Families – A Day of Free Family Events and Activities!
– Child Care Recruitment and Training Support
– Youth Tutorial Program
– Recreational Programs
– 2015 Poverty Simulation
– Resource Guide to Youth
– Promotion and Use of Gifts-In-Kind Program
– Planning for Youth Assessment/Survey
– Community EXPO
– Citizen’s Guide to Local Government & Community Resources
– Welcome Aboard New Resident Packet
– Trauma-Informed Care Workshop
– Gloucester Volunteer Month
– Youth Scholarships for Camping & Enrichment Opportunities
Who is a part of the Resource Council?
Here is a list of many of the GRC member organizations!
· Abingdon Episcopal Church
· Abingdon Ruritan Club
· Adult Literacy on the Middle Peninsula
· Alzheimer’s Association
· American Cancer Society
· American Red Cross
· Animal Rescue Foundation – Spay/Neuter Clinic
· Bay Aging
· Bethany United Methodist Church
· Bread for Life Food Pantry
· Children’s Diaper Bank
· Bridges Head Start
· DAV Chapter 58
· First Presbyterian Church
· Giving Garden Foundation, Inc.
· Gloucester Community Engagement & Clean Community
· Gloucester Community Foundation
· Gloucester Commonwealth’s Attorney
· Gloucester Chamber of Commerce
· Gloucester Family YMCA
· Gloucester Genealogical Society
· Gloucester Health Department
· Gloucester Housing Partnership/Samaritans, Inc.
· Gloucester Lions Club
· Gloucester Main Street Preservation Trust
· Gloucester-Mathews Care Clinic
· Gloucester Moose Family Lodge
· Gloucester Parks, Recreation & Tourism
· Gloucester Public Library
· Gloucester Social Services
· Habitat for Humanity
· Brain Injury Association of Virginia
· Helping Hands Mission Camp
· Insight Enterprise Inc./Peninsula Center for Independent Living
· Laurel Shelter, Inc.
· Literacy Volunteers of Gloucester
· Middle Peninsula Regional Adult & Career Education (M.P.R.A.C.E.)
· MPNN Community Services Board
· Newington Baptist Church
· Piankatank Community League
· Riverside Walter Reed Hospital
· Rural Infant Services Program (RISP)
· Salvation Army
· Susanna Wesley Methodist Church
· Three-Rivers Health District
· Three Rivers Healthy Families
· Virginia Cooperative Extension
· VersAbility Resources & Puller Center